I have been self-employed for 20 years and here are 20 things I have learnt in that time.
- Nothing works unless you do
- Believe in Yourself, despite what others are telling you.
- Research your Market, but don’t overthink it!
- Learn to trust your instinct
- Be Brave
- People buy from people. The internet isn’t going to go away but old fashioned customer service still matters
- Work must make you want to leap out of bed on a Monday and not be bothered that you worked all weekend.
- What’s the worst thing that can happen?
- You will get stuff wrong, learn from it, apologise and don’t do it again.
- If you don’t have the right skill set you can learn or you can pay someone to do it for you.
- You can’t have it all, there is no magic solution in business if you want to be successful then YOU have to put the hours in.
- Know why you are doing what you do.
- Have goals and targets, a nebulous someday list will not work.
- Be prepared to learn.
- Don’t waste hours on something if it is not working, no matter what your investment in terms of time and money there comes a point when you have to be prepared to walk away.
- When you get it right reflect on what went well and do it again! And again! And again!
- Your family and friends have got your back but won’t necessarily understand your work ethic and that’s OK.
- Ask for help but ask the right people.
- Just do it
Just F***ing Do It
and that ladies and gentlemen is the biggest lesson. Remember my very first point as it’s one of the most important. Nothing works unless you do.
The sun is shining, I would love to be sitting outside drinking a cup of tea. Its 4.45 pm so I could easily stop now and write this blog tomorrow, or next week, or next month. I don’t have a deadline and I only answer to myself but you know what I am motivated and I know that I need to get this blog written.
So there you have it my top 20 tips for being self-employed after 20 years.
If you would like to know more about establishing your own Natural Skincare and Make Up business then let’s have a chat.
Contact me via my website www.michaelavaux.co.uk or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join my Facebook group Natural, Gorgeous Skin with Michaela Vaux, Tropic Diamond
I am independent Ambassador for Tropic Skincare, the views and opinions expressed here are my own and not of Tropic Skincare Ltd.